Sunday, December 26, 2010

Working To Make Do With Less Project 1 Clothes

I have been feeling like it is time to start paring down much of my belongings. To much of everything. I found this blog on being a minimilist. I have taken the following from there on working on my closet. The idea is to get down to 33 items not including certain items.


Original rules are as follows

When: October 1 – December 31 (It’s never too late to start so join in anytime!) I need to get started since it is December 26th already.


What is included : 33 items including clothing, accessories, jewelry, outerwear and shoes. ( the jewelry boxes will be the hardest for me even though I rarely wear jewelry. Time to pick my favorites and wear.


What is not included : these items are not counted as part of the 33 items – wedding ring, underwear, sleep, in-home lounge wear, and workout clothing (you can only wear your workout clothing to workout)


Outline your 33 items, by the 1st of October ( too late for that for me box up the remainder of your fashion statement, seal it with tape and put it out of site.


What else: consider that you are creating a wardrobe that you can live, work and play in for three months.

If you purchase items for project 333, stick with the one in, two out approach. Consider the essentials and stick to 33.

How to Make Space .. I will start with my closet and pare down my clothing to 33 items as suggested. Hopefully I can continue to other areas of my home after that.

Here is the process that is recommend:

Start making piles of clothes and be ruthless.

Pile One: I love these items. They fit me well and I wear them frequently: Keep
Pile Two: I want to keep this but I don’t know why
Pile Three: These items don’t fit me or my style: donate.
Pile Four: These items aren’t in good condition: trash.


Next:
Take Pile Four to the trash.
Box up Pile Three and put in your car before you have time to re-think.
Put the items from Pile One back in your closet.
Box up all items from Pile Two and put the box in the back of your closet for 30 days.

If you didn’t miss the box after 30 days, DO NOT OPEN IT, donate it.

After you make some progress, if you love that feeling of empty space in your closet, join hundreds of us in minimalist fashion Project 333.


Take a peek at her site... you will find others that are involved. I am now off to start my clothing declutter project will be back to let you know what I am keeping. ... Grace

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I really like this idea! I don't think I wear much more than 33 items, but it would certainly make me think carefully about the quality of the items if they were the only things to wear for 3 months! It would be harder in the winter than the summer, when fewer layers are needed for warmth.

    ReplyDelete